Last Friday, a couple of friends and I tried out another new workout and I loved it! The studio is called Orangetheory Fitness and it’s a franchise so you will surely see them popping up all around town. All three of us loved it and I will be going back this Thursday with a group of 7 of us – that’s how legit I think it is! When I invite friends and tell people about something, it’s the real deal.
So here’s how Orangetheory works: Everyone is given a heart rate monitor that is registered with their own height and weight. Your heart rate and calorie burn appears on flat screens around the studio at all times along with everyone else’s. The group is divided up and some people start on the treadmills while others hit the rowing machines or weights. A trainer then instructs everyone on exactly what to do the entire time.
Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to run much and probably would have avoided this workout because of my foot issues if I had known, but it all worked out and I was even running up to 10mph (6:00 min/mile pace) at some points. The trainer will call you out if you need to work harder. I don’t even usually attempt to run that fast but when you’re trying to hit certain heart rate zones, you realize you can push harder and faster.
I’ve never in my life used a rowing machine and always assumed they were for lazy people who want to sit and work out. I couldn’t be more wrong! My heart rate was through the roof on that thing and after every interval I was breathless. We used weights, TRX, a bench and our body weight for the rest of the workout. I loved it all and wasn’t bored for a split second.
- Loves numbers. You will have tons of fun watching your heart rate and calorie burn on the screens.
- Is competitive. I’m competitive and I want to burn more calories than my friends and hit the right zones more often. I’m sure I’m a blast to work out with.
- Enjoys a challenge and thrives on variety.
- Doesn’t like to plan or think about your workout and would rather be told what to do.
- Enjoys the camaraderie of working out with others.